Friday, November 14, 2014

The Hit and Run

I was a big fan of the excellent tv show by the name of Breaking Bad. For those of you unfamiliar with the show's basic premise, a high school chemistry teacher starts making crystal meth to pay for his cancer treatments. Despite the increasing bad behavior of the teacher, one cannot help but to be drawn to the complex character that is Mr. White.
My tale today shows the real life consequences of those that buy and use this drug.
I left my house around 6:30 AM this day so I could arrive at my customer's location in the Philly area by 8AM. I got on Route 202 and settled into the right lane quickly. I noticed a car behind me who was evidently in a hurry and I saw that he was going to pass me on the left lane.  As he passed me, I was startled to see how close his car was to my car.

Next thing I know, this guy has sideswiped my car! I could tell the damage was not severe, but I did have some nasty creases and damage to the side of my car. I quickly pulled over to the shoulder , thinking he would do the same, once he realized he had hit me. But to my surprise, he never even slowed down, and continued on Route 202.
It took me a minute or so to realize I was dealing with a hit and run driver. I quickly pulled back out onto the highway in an attempt to follow him.

Simultaneously, I called 911 on my blue-tooth speakerphone and told the cops what had happened. I managed to get within viewing distance of the hit and run driver, but could not make out his license plate. He was driving pretty fast and at times, erratically, so I kept my distance. I proceeded to follow him for a few miles and the cops stayed on the phone with me, as I gave them the blow by blow on exactly where we were. I must say, it was kind of thrilling to be involved in a car chase.
We were coming up to an infamous Jersey traffic circle soon, and even great drivers can have difficulties navigating them. I was concerned how this guy was going to make it around the circle safely.
There was a traffic light about a quarter mile before the circle and just before it, I had lost sight of my nemesis. As I pulled up closer to the light, I saw that my guy had rammed his car into the back of a pickup truck that was stopped at the light. He wasn't going anywhere. I let the cops know what had just happened.  I pulled over to the shoulder  and watched as the driver of the hit and run vehicle calmly got out his car, while sipping a cup of coffee. As he meandered around, cop cars stated to arrive from several directions.
The cops began questioning the driver as I sat waiting in my car  for them to come to speak to me. When they did come over, they let  me know that the driver had no recollection of hitting me a few miles back. Luckily,  the paint from his car was all over the side of my car. The cops indicated to me that there was something not quite right with the driver , and after taking down my info, they let me go on my way.
I found out by reading the police report the next day, that the driver was under the influence  of crystal meth.
I am still thankful there were no injuries that day from either accident. 






No comments:

Post a Comment