Saturday, February 18, 2017

The Tree Trimming Scam

So the other day, a guy rings our doorbell, and says to my wife that he and his tree trimming company are "in the neighborhood" and they have noticed some of the 50+ trees on our property need trimming.
So lets stop there.,.first rule of this sort: whenever they say they are in the neighborhood,  you need to say no thanks.
But my wife agrees that the need is there, which it is. She comes and sees me in my home office as I was working from home that day, and instead of discouraging her, I say how much , etc, and she tells me what they say they will do for the low price of $400.00
Being the cheap guy I am, I say okay.
As the rest of this guy's crew arrive at our property, I notice they only have a couple of pickup trucks, no tree chipper or cherry picker truck. I also notice that they are piling up the branches on the curb. They tell my wife  that our township will pick them up. I agree as our town does provide this service.

About a half an hour later, there's a knock on our door and someone from our township from public works is now explaining to my wife and I that the town will not pick up tree debris a contractor has created! He inquires as to our tree trimmers company name and says they are the same outfit that has pulled this deception before. He says they know the township won't pick their debris, but by the time the homeowner realizes that, they are gone and now the homeowner must arrange for someone else to haul away the detritus for an extra fee.
So I'm elected to confront the tree guys on our property who are 99% done by now. I explain what the town has said and say that I'll pay you the $400.00, but not until you haul the piles of branches away.  I explain that your company knew the town would not pick up the piles all along.
The tree guy  nods his head in agreement, but says he must go check with his boss who is in one of the pickup trucks. I can hear them debate that the job was worth $700 and that the boss man is unhappy with my demands.
With that exchange, the guy who I spoke to gets in the truck without saying a word to me, and they all  drive off in silence.
I called another tree service that we had used before, with good results and  a couple of days later they haul away both piles for $400.00.
I have not heard a word back from the guys who did the tree trimming!




No comments:

Post a Comment